Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Another Beer Church

This beer in church thing seems to be catching on and all I can say is Praise the Lord. Turns out a Church in England was handing out free beer on Father's Day in order to attract the menfolk back into showing up on Sunday. They had the kids hand out bottles when the Dads came in. That brings tears to my eyes just thinking about it. Seems they're also trying bacon and chocolate to lure the Lost Sheep back to the fold. There's the Holy Trinity for me right there: Beer, Bacon and Chocolate. The Right Reverend John Inge, who's a Bishop in the Church of England says the free beer is symbolic of "the generosity of God" and "Jesus created a lot more wine at a point in the party when some thought that there had already been enough drinking. He was all in favour of partying." Well that's for sure. Jesus knew how to party. He brought the wine and He also invented the Friday fish fry. The Archdeacon of the church says, "we wanted to give a laddish, blokeish gift to the men. A bottle of beer hits the mark." It sure does. I'm not exactly sure what laddish or blokeish means, maybe it's Hebrew, but he's right about the beer. Of course there's a few naysayers that don't like the idea but I say whatever gets you in the Spirit has to be a good thing and nothing gets me in the Spirit faster than a six pack of fine malt beverages and a hunk of bacon. I don't forget to thank Jesus every time I pop a top. And you shouldn't either.

No comments: